On Thursday October 7, Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Governor Deval Patrick, Congressman Michael Capuano, State Rep. Eugene O'Flaherty and several other state and city elected officials and healthcare leaders joined the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital community for a ceremonial ground breaking at the site of the New Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital facility, on Parcel 6 in the Charlestown Navy Yard. The project’s estimated cost is $220 million dollars and is expected to create over 300 construction jobs. Spaulding currently employs over 1000 full and part time staff. In addition, Spaulding has committed significant resources to an extensive clean up of the Navy Yard site turning a brownfield into a Greenfield. Spaulding has also an over 40 year commitment to the Charlestown community supporting community events such as the annual Road Race and scholarship and work force development programs with partners in the community. The projected is expected to be completed in December of 2012.
Click Here to See Additional Photos
Several Key Features for a New Spaulding Hospital:
• Will meet and exceed all current ADA accessibility standards, becoming a model for Universal Design.
• Being built to “Green Design” specifications and design is LEED Silver Certified.
• Increased clinical and research space.
• 132 private rooms with larger, fully accessible private bathrooms
• Aquatic center and rooftop garden, for therapeutic use as well as energy efficiency
• Auditorium (will be available for community use)
• Additional education and conference space
• Dr. Charles Weingarten Adaptive Sports Program (available for community use).